SL9B Time Capsule
Creating a new time capsule is a wonderful tradition we’ve kept alive each year at the Second Life Birthday event. Residents are invited to try and create a capsule that represents something significant from that year (SL4B’s capsule had flexis, SL5B’s used glow) or something inspired by the theme of that year’s event (SL6B’s capsule was a meteorite chunk for its space theme, SL8B’s was a modified version of the event logo).
We’re inviting Residents to propose their ideas for this year’s time capsule, so if you’re interested, here are the guidelines:
* The capsule should be (relatively) low-prim. Some of the older ones reach up to 96 prims, and some years it gets difficult to display them all. If at all possible, please be prim-friendly! This will only get worse as more and more capsules join the ranks every year.
* If you choose to make it look like a chest, box, or anything that would open in RL, we’ll need an open version AND a closed version. This allows us to keep up the illusion of “opening the capsule” at every year’s event.
(SL3B had a vault, SL5B an intelligent particle system, SL6B had an asteroid container that could open, SL7B was a portal with a vortex that could activate)
Don’t worry too much about scripting the open/close, we can help with that. Sometimes we can ask for modifications to the design to accommodate the look.
* Overall, be creative; this year’s theme is “Community” if you want to go theme-based.
* Size: Don’t go too big, the SL3B Vault is about 6meters cubed and you might consider that the upper size limit (it certainly looks massive), although nobody will be disqualified for going over it on one side or so, if the design warrants it. A tall spire won’t be rejected, a Death Star sized megasphere just might🙂
* Some particle activity is allowed, but keep it manageable. No giant fireworks fests, but some minor activity is fine. For an example of a previous model: SL5B’s capsule has particles that float inside it, defined by the amount of items in its inventory.
* The capsule should have full perms. This is very important, as modifications may be needed; plus, it is ofcourse needed for the adding of the contents, the most important part of the capsule.
* If you submit a capsule, it will not be returned to you. So be sure to keep a copy if you want to keep it! If you do manage to screw up here, a return copy can always be arranged upon request; we’re not ogres🙂
* If you have any low-prim pedestals or display cases, please feel free to submit them. For that matter, don’t be afraid to make a smaller capsule that stands on an independent pedestal (and yes, you may design the pedestal too; the SL5B and SL6B capsules did that very same thing)
* No guarantees that you’ll win. You may have the nicer design technically, but someone else’s might fit the theme better.
* To submit a design or to ask any related questions, please contact Will Webb, the official keeper of the capsule.
* Last but not least, the previous capsules may be seen upon request, for those of you that need a bit of inspiration and guidance in choosing your design. The closing date for submissions is end of the day 15th June SLT so get cracking!